Friday 1 June 2012

Seriously not good at this blogging lark...

So it has been, what, two more months? Shame. Never mind. Here's what I've been up to:
What's that? Actual genuine money you want to pay me? Oh, uh, OK. I kind of wish it had been for something that was a bit more me, though, but I was pretty pleased with it. It's one of those things that was about five times more work than it looks, but still. I love me some embossing.
I'll admit it: I'm mad-proud of this. All except some of the text spacing. But anyway. I owe everything I have learnt about creating fractals from Mr Richard Lyall and I'm very grateful. Him, and the freaky geniuses who created Apophysis 2. Also, to those kind people who create free fonts that I can download, all the while wishing that I had a spare bajillion pounds to buy the necessary software: thank you.
I feel like a teeny tiny bit of a fraud posting this one because in truth, the poster that was printed had black text. I just feared that it wouldn't be terribly visible so I swallow my artistic integrity. Unfortunately, the blue printed darker than I expected, so when I turned it into fliers, I felt justified in going with my original and most beautiful plan. Again, it probably took double the amount of time that it looks (fish background removal, fancy fractal creation, blah, blah blah) but I liked it.
 This one (and the next) seriously honed my speed-crafting skills. And it's quite me. I love a curlicue, not to mention serifs. I love serifs. And I love that using the word 'curlicue' makes me think of this. It's so gloriously darkly inappropriate for children.
And finally. This printed up beautifully. I was so jazzed. And I was very glad that I went with my decision to not try and make each letter as if it was inside a strawberry. This came out much more elegantly. And Bookman Old Style is such a great font. Seriously. Who doesn't love a good serif?

That's it for now. Have a lovely Jubilee. I might do some Queenly crafting. Between painting my kitchen, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I'm a self-taught graphic designer, trying to work out how to make this thing called work, work. I've also got a degree in Art History and Film Studies, an interest, bordering on obsession with animation, strong views on typography, an enormous recipe file and a well used bible.